Tuesday, September 25, 2007

The Bother With Bloggers


BEAUTY: An aesthetic radiance that delights the soul; a quality much admired in women, landscapes and tropical fish, but curiously out of favor in art throughout the modern era."


Like with everything in life, if I go long enough not doing something, it becomes easier to... not do it. I didn't blog for two days, so it was easier to say on the third day "Well, I haven't blogged in two days, three's OK." Then four... nine... thirteen... what's it up to now? I don't know, I'm too lazy to scroll up. Whatever the duration, I'm breaking it today. Go me.

I'm breaking it today because, well... ok, I'm not totally sure, but there was a few atypical events today, and I figured I'd talk about them here, to try and get back into the blogging.... thing. Everything's a thing, so it's just a matter of finding the things that make good things happen inside.

This morning, I had to drop CarCar off at Rapid Radiator, and then hoof it through the North Shore, accross the Overlander Bridge, and then downtown to my office. According to Google Maps, it's 2.5km, so doing that in 25 minutes isn't that bad for me. I love walking early in the morning, or late in the evening... in the middle of the day, the light is too bright, too harsh, and unflattering to everything except shade trees and deep caves. The sun is not beauty's friend, but the sun at 8:40am, rising between the slopes of a valley, sure is, and it's amazing what, seen for the first time, can be beautiful. (Boy, that was a lot of commas, huh?)

There was an old wood-tie retaining wall just past a closed down auto sales shop by the railroad tracks that was valiantly holding up the soil around a Russian olive tree, and it was beautiful. There was the space underneath the end of the bridge where a water pumphouse was located and being smothered by weeds , and the sunlight was coming from behind me and the cruddy gray large-aggregate concrete tilt-up slabs was dappled and golden, and it was beautiful.

"The moment one give close attention to anything, even a blade of grass, it becomes a mysterious, awesome, indescribably magnificent world in itself. Through light and joy is the world opened up, revealed for what it is: ineffable beauty, unending creation."


I know it probably seems silly, especially to the people who read this AND know me, but I just felt it was something worth saying.

I'm going to blog tomorrow, hopefully, about yet another reason for me to lose weight... while walking, I saw my profile reflect in the glass of the closed down auto shop, and reminded me that I saw a profile of me in the living room window last night, and it occurred to me that I actually didn't know that's how fat I was. To people who know me, that's probably even stupider, but I think it's a good thing that I know.

Now watch the fucking movie and shut up.



No comments: